Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Dr jekyll

I just finished watching penny dreadful,and I was PUMPED by their inclusion of dr.jekyll, and their choice to make him a minority. I LOVED it, and I wishi could have seen more of him. I went ahead and tried to do a stylized portrait of him. It didnt start out stylized, but ended up that way.


Monday, September 19, 2016

SU-Update 002

Second verse same as the first. Still roughing these clothes. I think by this weekend I"ll get to a point where I can finally start refining it, but until then. On we trod unto dawn.

Sunday, September 18, 2016

SU- Update-001

So I didnt notice this, but the concept that I"m using is some Steven Universe fan art. Makes sense though. I've never seen the show.
So I think the model is coming together. The blocking roughing out phase for the body is about done, and now i'm moving on to the blocking out phase for the clothes. Once that's done. Down to refine ment. I've still got to do some research on a few things.

-Eyes. I see people do the indent on the eyes, but I'm not sure why that is.
-Retopologizing characters with clothes. I was thinking of retopologiziing both pieces (the clothes and the flesh), then deleting whatever wasn't going to be seen. Not sure if thats the correct way to go about it though.
-Hair. I've done a few tests with hair before. This will be the first time I've gone all the way on a finished model.

Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Creature Crunch

a little thing I do during lunch, that I normally keep private. But first time ever. Here you go. a creature i crunched during lunch.

Sunday, September 11, 2016

Wip 014

I like this update. I think right now what I'd like to do is examine it further if there are any major technical problems. Following that. I think i'll start putting some props in the enviroment because right now it feels pretty weak.

Painted some details into the crystal to break up the surface a bit. I think that was the right move.

Thursday, September 8, 2016

WIP 013

It still not completely done to me, but Ive gotten to the point that, I dont know how to make the changes I'd like to make. When I come back to this I'll use substance to add details, I dont know substance right now so I'll have to learn it before i tackle this. I used quixel for this and really like the result. SO  I imagine using them both in unison would be wicked fun.
Oh also, megascans for the ground. I think it came out cool. It really adds flavor to it. I think when I come back, I'll add a big pylon in the background, really give this scene some pizazz. And maybe add a hardened shield to the immortl too! that'd be sick.


Another update. First pass on the materials
There are few glaring issues that I've marked up. I'll go back and fix those this weekend.

As far as the materials, I'm not sold on the blue just yet, I think i get the idea. I want to make it glow, but i'm not sure how to make a convincing glowing crystal material. (khydarin crystal to be specific).
I think also, I'll have to make separate uvs for some decals or zerg blood, and I'll do that in Unreal

I like the brown metal on the bottom half of the immortal, but the top half is a little lacking to me, I'll have to go back and check that out.

The legs need to be unwrapped a bit better, because there are some artifacts (artifacts right? those are artifacts?) near the bottom. Otherwise the bakes are pretty ok.

I still have NO IDEA what to put under the immortal. What holds its legs together?!
I've got nothing for that. I'm gonna keep it blank for now.

Friday, September 2, 2016

WIP 011 polypaint update

Went ahead and polypainted it to mark the material IDs for later. Also I really wanted to see it in some kind of color.

SO i'm going to proceed with it in this order.


I'm thinking I can get this thing retopologized and baked this weekend.
That being said. I've never retopologized or modeled anything that has holes in it. (the cannon). I think I should try out some methods, on a cylinder or something before I really dive deep in it.

Also, when I project the poly paint data, I'm not too worried, although this has happened before where it gets messed up in certain areas. I figure I'll just correct it in zbrush on the LP model before I move on to any texturing.